The Lowell Police Department has posted an account of the riot that occurred inside Fortunato’s (corner of Middle and Palmer Streets) early Friday morning in which 14 people were arrested and three officers were injured. The full report is HERE but I’ve reproduced it in full below:
Numerous individuals were arrested in the City earlier this morning. At 1:30 a.m. every on-duty Lowell Police Officer was summoned to the Downtown area to assist officer’s who had requested immediate back up. Officers from Lowell, Dracut, Tyngsboro, Umass Lowell and the Massachusetts State Police responded. This incident started inside Fortunato’s, also known as Club 44, which is located at the corner of Palmer and Middle Streets. Two officers stationed on the corner noticed a large fight occurring inside the bar. Officers observed a large group of people fighting on the dance floor, throwing chairs, tables and beer bottles. Officers called for assistance and entered the establishment to restore order. Once inside, officers realized there was only one point of entry/exit for the establishment, as the other doorways were locked from the inside. As a result, back-up officers who were assisting the initial officers on the scene had difficulty entering the establishment.
Inside, officers observed approximately 170 to 200 people inside the establishment. At this point, some patrons began trying to leave. Officers assisted those who wished to leave. While some officers assisted patrons to leave safely, other officers were focused on ending the fights that were occurring within the establishment. At this time, patrons began throwing bottles at officers who were attempting to affect an arrest inside the bar. Several individuals became violent towards the officers and resisted arrest. At this point, several individuals who had left the bar attempted to get back into the establishment in order to continue fighting. These individuals were subsequently arrested. This incident led to the arrest of 14 individuals and three Lowell Police Officers were injured.
After order was restored a Club employee informed officers that the Club had hired a private promoter named “DJ Money” for the evening, however, he had no additional information on this individual. He also stated that the Club was hosting a private 21st birthday party. He continued to explain to officers that he believed several of the guests were under the age of 21. Those 21 and over were required to wear a yellow wrist ban, while those under 21 had their hands marked with a black marker. Officers noted that of those arrested; only 2 had yellow bands, while the remaining individuals did not have any markings on their hands. The employee also explained to officers that the owner was not at the scene and he had no way of contacting him.
The following individuals were arrested:
- Miguel Fernandez, age 25, from Lawrence, MA. He was charged with Assault and Battery on a Police Officer, Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon (beer bottle) Affray, Disorderly Conduct, and Resisting Arrest.
- Pierre Pierre Clemat, age 21, from Boston, MA. He was charged with Affray.
- Nilsson Devasconcelos, age 33, from Andover, MA. He was charged with Affray and Disturbing the Peace.
- Jason Sanon, age 20, from Cambridge, MA. He was charged with Disorderly Conduct.
- Aser Honore, age 26, from Lowell, MA. He was charged with Disorderly Conduct.
- Ccshron Brown, age 23, from Lowell, MA. He was charged with Affray.
- Carlos Feliz, age 20, from Lawrence, MA. He was charged with Assault and Battery on a Police Officer, Resisting Arrest and Disorderly conduct.
- Jovan Siri, age 18, from Lowell, MA. He was charged with Assault and Battery on a Police Officer, Affray and Resisting Arrest.
- Brousseau Normil, age 19, from Cambridge MA. He was charged with Affray and warrant for possession of class D.
- Anthony Decontreras, age 23, from Lowell, MA. He was charged with Assault by Means of a Dangerous Weapon (chair) Affray and Resisting Arrest.
- Rolando Fernandes, age 22, from Lawrence, MA. He was charged with Affray.
- Richie Hernandez, age 19, from Lawrence, MA. He was charged with Disturbing the Peace and Resisting Arrest.
- Joshua Saldarriaga, age 21, from Dracut, MA. He was charged with Affray, Assault and Battery on a Police Officer and Resisting Arrest.
- Cheury Gomez, age 21, from Cambridge, MA. He was charged with affray and resisting arrest.