Here are some of the reasons I think Scot Brown decided not to run in the special election to fill John Kerry seat in the US Senate:
- This would have been Browns third Senatorial campaign in two years. Candidate energy, family strain and most importantly fundraising would have been major issues that affected the outcome.
- It has only been two short months since Elizabeth Warren’s campaign organization drove her to victory. This machine is still hot and could quickly be firing on all cylinders again.
- The issues and votes that plagued Brown against Warren still exist. Markey/Lynch would surely hammer him with these again. I can almost hear Markey/Lynch in the debate now…“ Mr. Brown when given the opportunity you voted against equal pay for women”.
- If Brown is interested in the governorship as rumored, he and his staff know it is easier for a Massachusetts Republican to win the state house than a seat in the US Senate.
- Brown couldn’t win. Considering all the factors above…Brown couldn’t win. He would have trouble raising money; the last election proved he can’t beat well-organized Democratic opposition; And his actions in the Senate since his lose in November haven’t done much to protect him from the same criticism that help bring him down before.
Just my thoughts…