In this month’s official publication of the Lowell Council on Aging, there are suggestions for keeping cool, sfaety tips, a calendar of events and senior trips as well as the lunch menu for the month of July. There is a very nice profile of COA Board member Billy Sheehan who is also the Public Housing Program Director for the Lowell Housing Authority.
As added feature, there’s a Lowell Trivia quiz – “Do you Remember?” geared to the senior population. See how well you can do answering some of the questions.
- Name nine theaters that dotted Lowell.
- Where were the two “Waldorf” restaurants located?
- What was the “super” store that sold all your household and personal needs?
- Name the clothing store at the corner of Central and Market Streets.
- Name the men’s clothing store at the corner of Central and Jackson Streets.
- Names the men’s clothing store at the corner of Warren and Central Streets.
- Where was Gaumont’s appliance store?
- Who hosted a noontime WLLH radio show daily outside in downtown Lowell?
- Where could young people go “dime-a-dance” dancing?
- Who was the “CandyMan” at all 4th of July celebrations?
- Where was the “poor farm”?
- Where was the only toboggan chute in the city?
- What parade was held a week before the Memorial Day parade in Lowell?
- Name the woman’s store in the Appleton Bank Building on Central Street.
- Name the “five and dime” stores in downtown Lowell.
- Name the hotel located on Central Street at the corner of Merrimack.
- What band played at all Immaculate “Hoodsie Hops”?
- Name two roller skating rinks.
- Name a downtown night club.
- Where did the elite meet downtown for ice cream?
Quizmaster answers to follow.
Do you have other Lowell trivia questions for our readers?